8.23.2006

Punta the Futbol



Garifuna Dancing on Vimeo

Last night, Drew, Jenne and I cheered on Belize as they valiantly battled Guatemala in a heroic game of soccer. Unfortunately, there really wasn't much cheering - in fact, it was the quietest sporting event I have attended, except maybe tennis. Despite the low decible level and Belize's loss (sad, but not unexpected - they have lost the past five years), the game was a lot of fun mainly due to the entertainment and refreshments.

Pre-Game Show:
Women from Dangriga performed traditional Garifuna dances out on the water soaked field. The video shows a clip of their performance.

Half-Time Show:
After having a Coke and an orange (total cost $1.25 BZD = $.625 USD!!) Supa G performed some of his famous songs from his debut album "The First Chapter." Punta Rock: thumping drum beats, synthesizer keyboards, carribean rap and booty shakin' like you've never seen before.

Post-Game Show:
Local Cashews and more Supa G! Supa G is a local hero - born and bred in Dangriga and a chart topper in Belize. He played and sang and danced and wiggled and thrusted and screamed for over an hour. He only stopped when some crazy man took a 5 ft. snake out of a bag and tried to throw it on stage. I would have run away too! I did run away when they called for a foreigner to come up and punta (somehow manage to move your butt in circles while the rest of your body is amazingly still). Some short Guatemalan embarrassed himself instead.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am officially up-to-date on the goings on of Drew and Danis in Belize. I haven't seen the video yet, because I need to download a new version of flash for it? The latest entry itself is quite entertaining on its own, however. Not to mention the fact that 8.23 is my birthday!!! Thanks for calling, you two! I am adding your website to my links so that I will never again get behind on your blogging. Love.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah for soccer in Belize! Whoo hoo for supporting the best sport ever! I miss you two! Keep going to soccer games... they are way more entertaining than any other sport ;) Love you both

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home